Hey all, this week (Nov 21) we’ll be doing some fly tying. Bring your gear and ideas to the Ernie Radbourne Pavilion in Muskoseepi Park 7-8.30 pm tomorrow.
I’m thinking it might be a good idea to look into what flys you can use for summer or winter fishing. Yes (most of) your flys are just as effective when ice fishing as they are in the warmer months. Most of those insects are still there, just in a slightly different place and moving slightly slower.
I’m planning on restocking my scud patterns (https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/tips-for-fly-fishing-with-scuds/) but take a look here to see what insects are in the water and find a pattern that matches that http://www.insectsofalberta.com/.
See you then, bring a friend or bring your kid.
Did you notice the water get hard this last week?
Yeah, i know that’s a cruel question. Too soon for ice fishing, too expensive to go to Mexico (invite me if you’re going please), and almost too cold for fly fishing. Perfect time to start tying and telling “true” fishing stories!
The first and 3rd thursday of the month we will be meeting at the Ernie Radbourne Pavillion in Muskoseepi Park 7-8:30 pm. Thats this thursday, like TOMORROW Thursday.
Let’s share some stories and go over what topics you’d like to have on the agenda for this year. i have a few things to discuss but we should hear what you want the club to do. If you are interested in doing a presentation at one of the meetings or writing up something for the website (www.pcflyfishers.org) \ facebook page (members only or the public one), or want to add something to the emails i send out let me know.
And as always drop on by Primetime Hunting and support a local business. They are a supporter of the club and are offering discounts with your current member card (ask instore for details).
Address: 11312 98 Avenue
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Phone: 780 832 0666
Business Hours: 9am-6pm M-S, closed Sunday
Yeah, that’s it for today. See you tomorrow and bring a friend.
A reminder that we are having a social night at the Grainbin Brewery Thursday Oct 17 7 pm till 9 so bring a friend and tell some “true” fishing stories. The fine folks there have some fantastic beers on tap. http://www.grainbinbeer.com/
The regular meetingsA are scheduled to start Nov 7. We are still going with 1st and 3rd week of each month 7-8:30 pm at Muskoseepi Park in the Ernie Radbourne Pavillion (by the pond).
If you’re a current member check out the members facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/422580964766644/) and if you are not currently a member check out the public page for meeting schedules and information (https://www.facebook.com/groups/peacecountryflyfisher). And as always all public posting will also be avaliable on the website http://www.pcflyfishers.org.
Give me a shout on any of these sites or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
This is just a short email to get everyone up to date.
- The May 2 outdoor casting clinic is postponed till next week May 9. 7-9 pm as usual but behind (opposite side of the pond) the Ernie Radbourne Pavillion in Muskoseepi Park.
- I’ll confirm wed if the space is still free for some fly tying.
- ACA has asked us to do some fishing “for science” at the crosslink pond. They need us to catch 10 fish for them. i’m heading there sunday, if you want to go let me know and we’ll set a time.
- May 11-12 Moonshine Lake, AB
May 18 day trip Swan Lake, AB
May 30 Crosslink Pond, Clairmont AB
- Most lakes are open now and some of the bigger ones should be turning over in a couple weeks when they start warming up. Expect a couple days of no fish biting and some winter kill washing up. This is normal seasonal activity. https://www.nationalgeographic.org/media/lake-turnover/
- If you didn’t renew your license do it online https://mywildalberta.ca/. i always do mine online and print off 5-6 copies to stick in my truck, wallet, fishing vests\hat, back back. This way i always know i have my license with me. Don’t forget to sign yours as well.
- We have created a members only facebook page and web page (www.pcflyfishers.org) and will be sending this information to our current (and some former) members in the next week or so. These will only be accessible to paid members.
- If you are looking to buy or sell gear let me know and we’ll see if we can put together a swap meet or a facebook buy\sell section.
- A listing of ACA stocked lakes is here and they update it when a lake gets stocked. https://www.ab-conservation.com/programs/fish/aca-stocked-lakes/?fbclid=IwAR1vnW4XZVCLdfOR2L59NmnQ_cUK29qAWOXwRr64Wc3MifCwHVGK_qJYteI
- The AEP stocked lakes can be found here https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fish-stocking/stocking-reports.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1H1-7x8wEXN3ZkTM8eZfyIauLtAbXo9STxY2m0RaXWmZNFsJBBpRbKaxw
- There’s still some bulk flys at Primetime, Golden Guns and Tackle, and Trapper Gords if you don’t tye your own. There’s nothing at CDN Tire.